Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Now a Blank Slate

The interior of the Smiley house is now a blank slate. All old wallpaper has been removed and a coat of primer applied to just about every inch of space. The exposed siding in the room additions (laundry room and kitchen) has been covered with sheets of smooth wood, which has also been primed.

I am now applying a coat of off white paint to all the interior trim, including the windows, baseboards, and framing. I am debating about how I will apply the wallpaper in each room. The overall design of this particular dollhouse results in wood trims around all edges and corners of walls in an attempt to mask seams and serve as a means of stability for the thin woods. I suspect I will install "panels" of wallpaper on the walls within the trims framing each one. Typically, I install wallpaper on each wall with seams tucked into the corners of the room. However, several rooms have walls that are not solidly connected to adjacent walls. If I were to use my normal method of installation, I anticipate the wallpaper would eventually tear in the corners due to this design. In any event, I will demonstrate the process I use for hanging the wallpaper.

However, before I begin installing wallpaper, I will plan the electrical wiring layout using the tapewire system. This particular dollhouse is predisposed to numerous issues that will impact the way I choose to lay out the tapewire. A couple of those issues include the gaps between several walls, the presence of the wood trims around most wall edges, and most importantly, the thin wood used in its construction.

Have I mentioned that I do enjoy a good challenge?

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing what a difference the cleaning and priming does to the old house. Can't wait to see it with the new wallpaper and flooring! Looks brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the stairs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what wallpapers/flooring your customer picks out!

    ReplyDelete